Sierra Nevada, Winter Evening
Ansel Adams Original Photograph
Negative Date: 1962
Print Date: 1963
Signed: Ansel Adams
Image Size: 11 1/2 x 9"
Only a finite number of Ansel Adams Originals exist in the world. Each masterpiece combines the patience the artist used to capture perfect light and shadow, with the emotion he felt when confronted by the grandeur of the American landscape. Ansel’s rare ability to transform geographic reality into a transcendent emotional experience for the viewer established him as one of the foremost American photographers—and conservationists—of his time. Ansel Adams photographs served witness to the powerful beauty of America’s wilderness, influencing the protection of vast swaths of land in the West. Honoring Ansel with the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1980, President Jimmy Carter stated: “At one with the power of the American landscape, and renowned for the patient skill and timeless beauty of his work, photographer Ansel Adams has been a visionary in his efforts to preserve this country’s wild and scenic areas, both on film and on Earth. Drawn to the beauty of nature’s monuments, he is regarded by environmentalists as a monument himself, and by photographers as a national institution. It is through his foresight and fortitude that so much of America has been saved for future Americans.”
Our 117-year-old business is still run by members of Ansel Adams' family, and commits to upholding the integrity and legacy of our gallery’s namesake. The Ansel Adams Gallery proudly houses the most extensive collection of Ansel Adams original photographs for sale in the world. Each original photograph we sell has a Certificate of Authenticity that states it has been authenticated by the Adams family as composed, exposed and printed by the artist himself.
We are extremely selective about the origin and condition of each work of art we represent. If, for any reason, your photograph does not meet your expectations, we offer a full 30-day refund less the cost of shipping. Original photographs typically range from $4,000 to $70,000
We welcome you to join us in our shared sense of pride, commitment, and responsibility—to both Ansel's artwork, and the story from which it was born. As an owner of an original Ansel Adams photograph, you become part of Ansel's legacy, honoring the exceptional beauty of America's landscapes and the call to protect them for generations to come.
Learn more about Collecting Ansel Adams Photography
- Handmade Gelatin Silver Photograph by Ansel Adams
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Purchase Consultation (if desired)
- Fast Shipping Turnaround
- Expert Fine Art Packaging
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee (or full refund within 30 days)
Collecting Ansel Adams Photography
Collecting photography is an expression of aesthetics. There are some remarkable photographers out there, creating works that we want to live with and enjoy for years. At The Ansel Adams Gallery, we feel strongly that the art work we live with on a day to day basis has an impact on the psyche, and that strong positive photography will develop a positive emotive response. We haven’t found psychological studies to back that up, but do feel there is enough anecdotal evidence to make the statement.
That said, we recommend a little structure and discipline to collecting, and have developed this section to help you. We will attempt here to explain the structure of the market for photography, what to look for, what to watch out for, and generally raise the level of understanding.
Key Information/Recommendations for Collecting Fine Art Photography
Here is a list of key information and recommendations we like to give our clients based upon our decades of experience:
- Buy what you love. Don’t buy purely for the sake of investment. Hopefully the work will be on your wall and appreciated for years, even if it doesn’t appreciate in value.
- Know what you are buying. Familiarize yourself with the work of the artist. Many artists collected on the secondary market have different bodies of work with different qualities that may be appreciated differently, and will have different values.
- Know what the medium is, a silver gelatin print is not the same as a collotype. “Print” has a different meaning to different people. Please see our glossary to verify what we are talking about. A “Special Edition of Photographs” stamp on the back of a signed Ansel Adams photograph means that it is NOT original, but produced by an assistant under his supervision.
- Know what the edition is. Editioning is a modern construction to offset the fact that a mechanical or semi-mechanical process allows for an unlimited number of identical or closely identical prints. Photographers as early as Edward Weston limited some works to a certain number (unfortunately with Edward his work was not widely popular while he was alive and most, if not all, of the editions never filled). Ansel editioned his portfolios, but never any prints. He did destroy some negatives after printing the portfolio, but always regretted the destruction, not the lack of access. Different artists edition differently: some limit per image, some per size of image, some are not limited or identified at all, some are numbered but not limited. Usually the editioning is priced into the print, but it is still better to know what it is than to find out later that it isn’t what you thought.
- Know what the condition is.
- Buy from someone who will stand behind the work and the sale.
Read More Articles about Collecting Fine Art Photography
Sell Your Original
Do you have an Ansel Adams Original Photograph you would like to sell?
Our Gallery will buy or consign Original Photographs in excellent or pristine condition.Learn more about selling your Ansel Adams Original.