NOTE: The gallery does not provide transportation during guided sessions. Usually, the staff photographer rides along with you in your vehicle. If you don't have room, you can follow him/her behind their car. If you don't have transportation, a walking guided session can be designed for you.
Attendees under the age of 18 need to have a parent or legal guardian
present at the beginning of each class to sign a waiver of liability
- Full-Day sessions must be done on the same day for full-day tuition. Please choose two half-day sessions if you are wanting 4-hour sessions on different days. For questions and to inquire about arranging a guided session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (209) 372-4413.
- A private guiding session with one of our gallery staff photographers in Yosemite National Park will allow you to learn about and photograph a selection of the prime locations within Yosemite National Park. From famous vistas of Half Dome and Yosemite Valley, to more intimate locations throughout the park, our staff photographers will lead you to areas to capture unique images and make the most of your photographic experience.
- While in the field, our photographers can assist you with questions on composition, lighting (Basic Guide), and exposure and camera settings (Custom Guide), however these sessions are ultimately designed to allow you to take advantage of our photographer's intimate knowledge of the topography of Yosemite National Park and the Eastern Sierra.
Sessions are typically set up around the best lighting for photography Yosemite has to offer - sunrise and/or sunset - so start times vary. You will be notified regarding start times and starting locations after signing up for your session.
Photographic guides are available for one-day, two-days or more. To check availability and arrange for a guiding session, please contact email@example.com or call (209) 372-4413.
Custom Guiding Sessions:
Photography Session with Learning your Digital Camera – Choosing this type of session not only gets you to great locations in Yosemite, but the staff photographer guiding you can also teach you how to use your digital SLR camera. While standing in front of beautiful scenes, you can learn some or all of the following:
Photography Session with Digital Darkroom – With this session, you can have an outdoor session, as well as some time learning Lightroom and Photoshop in our digital darkroom – Ansel’s Yosemite darkroom! Darkroom time is subject to availability. Please call 209-372-4413 for availability before purchase. Here are some of the digital techniques you can learn:
- Proper Exposure using the histogram – both in playback and in Live View
- Accurate focusing technique
- Learning aperture for depth of field. Understand how Ansel got sharp images from foreground to background!
- Using shutter speed for fun effects, like slow-shutter water photos.
- Use of different modes (Aperture and Shutter Priority, Manual)
Nighttime Photography Session - Nighttime photography is becoming a popular way to photograph Yosemite's landscape. Many of the techniques used to create a final night photograph can be advanced, such as assembling several separate images into one using layers in Photoshop©. We do have staff who understand the image capture and post-processing techniques used in modern night photography. Here are some of the techniques you can learn during a Nighttime Photography Session:
- How to photograph in the field for optimal use of the digital darkroom
- Efficient workflow in Lightroom and/or Photoshop
- Using Layers in Photoshop for Landscape Photography
- When to combine Lightroom and Photoshop techniques for one photograph
- How to organize your photos using Lightroom’s Library Module
A Note on "Tagging Along": For two main reasons, we do not allow family members/significant others/friends to tag along with paying participants. 1. Signing up for any of our guiding services pays for our expert guides to take you to many exclusive spots in Yosemite and/or being at prime locations at the best lighting for photography - regardless of participation. 2. All members of a guiding party need to be paying participants and sign our Acknowledgement of Risk form.
- How to use Apps such as The Photographer’s Ephemeris© and Star Walk© to line up night sky objects like the Milky Way and Moon with landscape features like Half Dome.
- Specific photo equipment for night photography
- Obtaining correct night exposures
- How to obtain sharp focus at night
- Taking multiple exposures to assemble in Lightroom/Photoshop©
- New Moon vs. Full Moon night photography
Cancellation Policy: If a participant needs to withdraw from a class, he/she must inform the Gallery no later than 1 day prior to the scheduled class. We will then refund your payment. Full refunds cannot be made for withdrawals initiated within 4 hours of the start of the class. Refunds cannot be made for participant no-shows. Class and guiding payments are transferable to another individual should you choose to withdraw your registration. The above policy only applies to our 4 hour photography classes and guiding services.
The Ansel Adams Gallery is an authorized concessioner of the National Park Service.